FRESS:

[yiddish] To eat like an animal, i.e., quickly, noisily, and in great quantity.

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Speaking of Pickles: 2-day Pickled Broccoli and my new pickle necklace







Did I mention that I was obsessed with pickles? And more importantly, do you pickle your broccoli stems? Because you really should. The NYTimes once mentioned a basic recipe for doing this and since then I have pickled all the broccoli stems left over from when I make broccoli, which gives me even more of a reason to make broccoli in the first place. Its a quick pickling process and so easy to make.








The first step is to get rid of the harder outer layer with a veggie peeler. Cut it up to your desired shape; sometimes I do long spears, but this week my broccoli was shorter so I went with round pieces. Put them in a container and cover with salt, shake it up to coat it.




Refrigerate over night. In the morning drain the water and add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, ground pepper, chopped garlic and any other spice of your choice- I like mustard powder for example.
By dinner time, your broccoli should be ready enough to enjoy.





Lookie, what came in the mail this week- my pickle necklace I ordered from roscata.com. I am a happy fashionable pickle lover now. Check out her most adorable food jewelry.



2 comments:

  1. I will definitely have to try this recipe! I like anything pickled and can't wait to see what pickled broccoli stems taste like. YUM! :D Also, thanks for including my pickle necklace and I'm so happy you like it!

    ReplyDelete