FRESS:

[yiddish] To eat like an animal, i.e., quickly, noisily, and in great quantity.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Joe's Shanghai

This restaurant will always have a place in my heart. I started going here for soup dumplings when I was about 7 and developed a huge crush on a waiter who later became manager and consistently gave my family free meals, Chinese New Year gifts, and birthday presents. When most kids were having their pottery making birthday parties, I brought my chopstick ignorant friends here. The soup dumplings are unparalleled. But you will burn your mouth on them.
Know how to eat them properly (as the hot waiter taught me: put one on your spoon, bite a little hole, let it cool a bit, slurp the soup, eat the thing) or you will look dumb.
The pan fried noodles are also stellar. Although simple, they prepare bok choy very well.

13621 37th Ave

1 comment: