FRESS:

[yiddish] To eat like an animal, i.e., quickly, noisily, and in great quantity.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Otafuku: Best balls of them all


Takoyaki definition from wikipedia: (literally fried or baked octopus) is a popular Japanese dumpling made of batter, diced or whole baby octopus, tempura scraps (tenkasu), pickled ginger, and green onion, topped with okonomiyaki sauce, green laver (aonori), mayonnaise, and katsuobushi (fish shavings), originating from Osaka


Little shack with a bench outside for sitting, I usually sit on the steps across the street. Their takoyaki is honestly one of the best things I have ever tasted. Combo B is the way to go, takoyaki and okinamiyaki (cabbage pancakes). I can't understand the negative comments about the mushiness and oversaucing. The flavors and texture made my mouth so happy. I daydream about these balls in my mouth. I really do.

PS There are definitely places to get this dish besides this place in NYC, but Otafuku is the freshest and most delicious in my humble opinion.

They now sell bottles of the addictive sauce- very worth picking up. I attempted to make okinamikayi with my sister and it did not come out half bad. Egg, cabbage, flour, Otafuku's sauce= easy breezy.


236 E 9th St

1 comment:

  1. Oh have I had those balls in my mouth and might I add I cannot wait for a second encounter. I too, dream about this delicious food. Probably one of the best finds ever!

    ReplyDelete